Version 2.0

Culture, healing, politics and bullshit - Not necessarily in that order

The general, socio-political and very personal rantings and ravings of a hip hop head from the hood hustling for change... Of himself.

You all know me and are aware that I am unable to remain silent. At times to be silent is to lie. For silence can be interpreted as acquiescence.
—Miguel de Unamuno



.
.

Monday, December 12, 2005

It's Monday Again? Damn.

I'm in quite a quandary. It's been a while since I had a good reason to get in the Christmas spirit. Until recently, I've never had the motivation or the correct inspiration to consider being involved in the gift giving or receiving portion of the holiday schedule. Funny how things change. I met someone recently that has inspired the doors of suppression to be opened and kept that way, I hope to continue to learn how to give and share.

Here's the problem. I've gone from subtle hinting to straight up asking this sister what she wants Santa to put under her tree. I have an idea, well I know what she wants, I just need to coordinate with family and friends so I won't duplicate a gift. Another thing, I was told not to even participate in the Christmas gift giving program. That hurt seeing as the last time I mustered up the energies to shop for gifts I was a teenager, copping trinkets and music for my circle of road dawgs back in high school. That was 1988, and the only reason I remember is because that was the last time I did anything closely related to Christmas.

Thanksgiving didn't go right with her and the family.
I might be paying for my past transgressions.
That stings.
Badly.

I've been working feverishly on my multiple manuscripts, my business plan for the non profit and crafting my lyrics for the music project. This has been my only focus in the past month or so, and I'm tired. I'm taking a vacation from planning and writing in the next week or so and will come back to it after I take holiday. I usually ignore the whole November/December thing until Kwanza hits, but this year my focus needs to change. I have no idea exactly what I'll be getting into on Christmas or New Years Eve, but I do plan on getting into something. When I figure it out, I'll figure it out.

I bounced to the city Thursday, injured foot and all to get my test results. Now I wasn't worried about receiving bad news or anything, but I just couldn't help myself in celebrating when I got the good news. The fact that I was tested for an array of 'other things' was surprising seeing that I didn't expect to be told about my cholesterol and my diabetes. What in the hell else did they test me for other than HIV/STD's, and was my privacy violated? I don't know. But I was glad to know after thorough testing and screening I was clean as the board of health, thank the Creator.

I also caught this in the midst of playing in the snow and celebrating the fact that I don't have the cooties:




I have an idea on how I can raise awareness and raise some funds for Katrina relief as it relates to the Millions More Movement. So far, the folks I confided in to get feedback about it basically told me that my idea is shit, which made me more adimate about putting my body on the line for folks who's bodies are still in danger. My yoga sessions and Qi Gong training have gone into overdrive, and I plan on hooking up with some old friends and getting back to my military basics to prepare my body to make a trek from Chicago to New Orleans. That's right, I wanna trek over 925 miles from Chicago to Nawlins' (method still being debated - okay, I don't want to tell you, a sponsorship hangs in the balance) using my own body's energy to get there. Sounds crazy, right? As I was doing research on sponsorships, training methods and contacting possible resources to assist my silly-ass dream as one referred to it, I found out about Lee QuiƱones. Check out www.tourdelee.com and see this brother's accomplishments. If he can do over a thousand miles cycling for the shorties, why can't I?

1 comment:

nikki said...

what a wonderful photo!

oh, and i'm sure you'll find the perfect gift. she'll love it just cuz you took the time to find something.