Version 2.0

Culture, healing, politics and bullshit - Not necessarily in that order

The general, socio-political and very personal rantings and ravings of a hip hop head from the hood hustling for change... Of himself.

You all know me and are aware that I am unable to remain silent. At times to be silent is to lie. For silence can be interpreted as acquiescence.
—Miguel de Unamuno



.
.

Monday, February 11, 2008

Bounce...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

Marianne Williamson



I want you to understand that the reason we are in this state of flux is because we are consumers and not producers, and not in a Puffy - DJ Premier sense. The reason we have nothing where we lay our heads is because we spend time putting our hard earned dollar right back into folks that take from us and never give back while other groups of people bounce their dollars many times amongst themselves before it leaves their community.

Asians, Arabs, Hispanics, Jews and whites in the United States generally spend money among themselves, "bouncing" dollars an average of six to 18 times before the money leaves the communities.

"The black dollar does not bounce, not one time in America." The only way to eradicate these problems in the black community is to help these
people do what everyone else does."

Dr. Claud Anderson gave that quote. The theory of bouncing dollars has been on my mind ever since I've been reviewing transcripts of debates on both the republican and democrat candidates. One thing no one wants to talk about or take time in solving is the how and when we will ever sit at the table and attempt to come with a solution for people of African descent.

Understand that there have been bills passed into law giving other so-called minorities the rights and encumbrances fought for so that folks of African lineage could have equal opportunities. Also understand that every other so-called minority group has succeeded in creating a community in this country and black folk have not.

The initial launch of programs, bills and laws created and fought for back in the day was done to give ancestors of slaves financial equality, but so much has happened to take away that equalization through intimidation, death and all things of such an evil nature unleashed on my people that today we are only taught to purchase and consume and not to save, be conservative and make opportunity for our children through investment and production.

If former slaves got a hold of 40 acres, a mule and one hundred dollars it would be smart to assume that land would have been purchased, business stated and crops would have been harvested that would have given brown-skinned folks equity in this country. Things would have been so different.

  • Schools would have materials to enhance the learning experience
  • Families would have stayed together, seeing as the hustle would have not been so prevelent
  • Ownership, investment and real material would have balanced opportunities for former slaves

I know I'm on a soapbox but know that I tire living in a world where people that look like me can't even pool a few dollars and get right. Latin folk bounce their dollars in their own hood 12 times before it leaves the hood. Asians... 16 times. We are the only people on the planet that have to make some sort of concession, whether it be beliefs, political affiliation or morals to others in order to be accepted and to this day, we still aren't. And the acceptance of Barack Obama by voters where there are no black people means nothing to me. Hell, everyone wants change, and Senator Obama through his candidacy and me living in his district witnessing this proves to me that he can offer such change.

When will my people have enough of a collective conscious to represent themselves as a whole people in American society? We have different views and beliefs but still feel the need to pander to others for acceptance and inclusion and we have no lobby where others do. And that is all based on the fight my ancestors made and we no longer benefit. Our people will fall into fourth class status if we don't come together and fight.

That makes me tired. I really want to move to Canada sometimes but... I don't know if Zesty and em' are ready for me. Plus I do like to fight.


Oh, and in other news... On this day 18 years ago... I got kitchen duty and was put on barracks restriction for two weeks for sneaking out of charge of quarters duty to see Mike Tyson get knocked the eff out by Buster Douglas in Japan. I had the time of my life going AWOL and sneaking off the base, but I did get caught by my platoon seargent on my way back to the base. It seems that we like the same sports bars and strip clubs when it comes to watching big money prize fights.

Damn, I'm old.

Seems like yesterday.

I didn't feel undervalued, underestimated or marginalized back then.

10 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

boy, u know u are preaching...right? but even with all the preaching I think for so many people, it goes in one ear and out the other. I really don't know if people are just into the black community. I make it a point to recycle some of my dollars in the black community...but, there is no way for me to recycle all of my dollars. services are shitty...the assortment of products I cam choose from are virtually non existent...so then, what am I to do? what can I do?

The Brown Blogger said...

Whooo, that's one hell of an honest comment. I too like you my brother are trying hard to support us financially but it gets so hard when it comes to finding 'good'goods and services.

Aquababie has a great business

Princess Dominique is an author with various great works

Frank 'Vipertech' Young is a graphic artist

Luke Cage/Frank is one hell of an airbrush artist

Femigog makes fragrant soaps and writes fiction

Lucy D is a stand up comic

Lyrically Yours is an artist, poet and author

Rose runs a non-profit and is an author

Muze's man is a photographer

My wife is an event planner/caterer

These are just a few bloggers that have businesses, imagine if you were to pick up the black pages, or go to Malcolm X College during BHM (the independent cats that participate in the African market), or listen to Warren Ballentine and Roland Martin big up our businesses on the radio...

I know I'm speaking locally, but most of the people listed above are not in Chicago. Imagine what the internet can do to big up black businesses?

Repeat business?

We just gotta support and be steadfast in repeating business. Money talks, so demand better services from those you spend money with...

Or start your own.

If you're in Bronzeville you'll be able to visit my business soon.

Anonymous said...

You know what though....regarding the first comment and speaking as a Black business owner...a lot of times it is just as difficult for us to find "quality" clients as it is for you to find those "quality" services and businesses. I'm not sure if we live up to the stereotype of if the stereotype is based on fact...but you deal with issues of timeliness, economic understanding (wanting champagne on a lemonade budget), respect for one's craft, etc...

It is the same issue across the board and those of us that are serious about our business (personal and professional) don't want to suffer for the sake of building a community with others who don't have the will or desire to do the same. When I began planning events I made a conscious effort to deal with minority vendors but I had to realize that with MY reputation and success on the line, I have to go with the best. I can't make our people do better so that they can get the business. We can't carry them along to prosperity if they keep dragging their feet.

Think about it...WE are planning a celebration. Now do you want to go to the black florist who has a reputation of having bugs and FROGS in his arrangements? Or do you want to get the best for your money?

We won't be able to create a community and "bounce" our dollars until both sides (consumers and creators) WANT to. It's a great concept. I'd love to have that type of community and have those type of business people in our own neighborhoods. But look at how the other races have achieved this....those that "make it" reach back for others and the others strive to "make it" so that they can do the same.

Bananas said...

Excellent post as usual. Seems like when I leave here, I always feel a little more on top of shit.

Aly Cat 121 said...

Are you familiar with Dr. Manning Marable? He speaks on this but not quite in the way you posted it. Check out his book - "How Capitalism Underdeveloped Black America" it's some REAL sh*t.

http://www.manningmarable.net/

And Ms. Diva, you are so right about that. Funny thing is, I ain't never found a TRUE black owned business that wasn't STELLAR and on point. Maybe I'm just lucky.

aquababie said...

there's nothing wrong with preaching when you're telling the truth! and thanks for the shout :)

the bf is on the verge of starting his own business. we're deep in it now.

as for someone who provides a service, i try to put myself in the shoes of the customer. i don't like crappy service or products. i strive to give it. all it takes is talk combined with lack of work ethic to ruin a reputation.

but i get tired of folk who would rather give their dollar to the mall or the white chic who does what i do with lack of concern and care.

ZACK said...

The crazy thing about the opening quote: "Our deepest fear..." is that I don't know who originally said it!

You cite Marianne Williamson, but I thought Akeelah stole it from Coach Carter who stole it from Nelson Mandela.

Anyway, GREAT BLOG!

Anonymous said...

I read your comment above. I did not know how many bloggers have businesses. Thats crazy. Makes me want to go out and support them.

Gallis said...

Aw hell, there's always room for one more! C'mon on down! Or is that up? LOL!

Eb the Celeb said...

Love that quote... and being old is a state of mind, as long as you think young... you will be!