Version 2.0

Culture, healing, politics and bullshit - Not necessarily in that order

The general, socio-political and very personal rantings and ravings of a hip hop head from the hood hustling for change... Of himself.

You all know me and are aware that I am unable to remain silent. At times to be silent is to lie. For silence can be interpreted as acquiescence.
—Miguel de Unamuno



.
.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Saturday Supplement: Chuuurch!!!

If tomorrow comes with an announcement and some truths are shared, it would be a great moment that will spur greater moments that will bridge gaps, heal wounds and improve communication not just in the sanctuary, but at dinner tables and water coolers everywhere.

Y'all know what the hell I'm talking about.

I used to go to church. I felt as if I was driven out of church because I never fit the 'mold'.

  • I am a free thinker and just can't conform to everydamthing
  • I question authority and everything that comes down off the mountain
  • I want tradition to meet modern... Best I can explain that
  • I am also open minded and socialize and fraternize with every damn body
  • I travel and learn as well as bring things back (fact, opinion, more questions) from my journeys
And I also gravitated to the silently outcast, the 'looked down upon' and the weird, bad and somewhat nerdy crowd that wanted to celebrate, participate in the eucharist and worship just like everyone else. We are gay, lesbian, transgender, agnostic, bookworms, odd fashionistas, alternative health nuts, worldly and traveled and open minded to doctrine and scripture other than the bible.

But we still attend the 'Black Church'.

We have never been included in the conversation about church growth, never considered when it came to large decisions about the future of the church and silently suffered right along the side of 'normal' church going folk, but was still asked to volunteer, give financial support, serve on auxiliaries, executive boards, direct the damn choir and some of us even have the mitigated gall to want to lead in ministry, get 'the calling' and be pastor to a flock.

Imagine that.

Because I have had the blessed opportunity to travel and I actually asked questions and got answers, look the way I look and think outside the realm of Judeo-Christian thought, I will never be expected to lead in the 'black church'. Because I have a host of gay friends (and have a few transgendered individuals that I have known for 20 plus years now), there is a stigma that is placed my way.

So much that I no longer associate with, nor attend church period. My people and I have been driven away. I have no intention (because of non-modern doctrine, the current end all-be all belief of this new American traditional religious jazz set by folk OUTSIDE the black church and just plain old ignorance) to ever go back. I love all people and I now OVERSTAND that religion (to me, my opinion) is bullshit. 

That doesn't mean that I don't believe.

BUT...

If a certain person speaks truth to power tomorrow from the pulpit, dialogue can be had and a new beginning can occur in the 'black church'. Inclusion can be had. Forgiveness can be executed in a manner that will cause some of the old, Uncle Ruckus types to balk, but that portion will break off and die anyway.

Some of my people could, over time go back to church and or no longer have to silently suffer.

WATCH THIS!!!

It's up to dude to make the right call and speak on it with thought and regard to nerdy, worldly and well traveled cats like myself but especially my gay, lesbian and transgendered cousins and em' regardless what happened in the past. This is our moment to come together. 

The streets are watching.

And so are the outcasts.

6 comments:

Diva (in Demand) said...

You realize that if a certain person gets up in the pulpit tomorrow and attempts to speak truthfully then he will simply be cast aside as an outsider with all the rest right? We don't live in a country where people of power can often instigate valuable discussion that results in change. Nope. We cast em aside with all the rest of the misfit toys on Misfit Island.

Ladynay said...

He will step down from his position. Everyone will talk about it for a week or so. The issue will be forgot about until someone else goes public about some else in that position. Wish this situation would make a change, but it won't.

Aly Cat 121 said...

ReLIEgion was and is meant as a form of CONTROL vs. SPIRITUALITY. That's why CRITICAL THINKERS are not allowed. Quit play bro, you know deal. And now SOMEBODY gonna fall on the sword so THEY don't lose no $$$

Big Mark 243 said...

I am less concerned about 'the country' as I am about 'us'. Gonna take a flier and think that is where Hassan is going here.

Maybe I am assuming too much, but as someone who does not exactly fit in with the stereotype that BLACK PEOPLE believe about 'us', I wonder when myself, we will start being more honest and accepting of all the people who obviously enrich our community.

Black folks have a hard time with doing that, being honest and inclusive. But we want to be 'let in' without reservation. Until we start being accepting of all of us, can we expect acceptance for any of us?

As to the hypocrisy of the church and its role in dividing us... if I was going to ramble about that, I have my on blog to do that in!

NeenaLove said...

religion is manmade. free-thinkers like ourselves KNOW that. we KNOW that God/Goddess is within.... and everyone around and including ourselve is/are God/Goddess in embryo.

hugz... glad to see you posting.

Student of the Mind said...

The black church is not perfect. I can attest to the routine and drama of the ceremony. The constant mess within the church is just ridiculous at times, and the older people are usually the culprits. Nevertheless, I go to church because I love my God, the people and their ceremonies and gossip and drama has never been a problem because after I worship my Lord, I'm out the door.