Version 2.0

Culture, healing, politics and bullshit - Not necessarily in that order

The general, socio-political and very personal rantings and ravings of a hip hop head from the hood hustling for change... Of himself.

You all know me and are aware that I am unable to remain silent. At times to be silent is to lie. For silence can be interpreted as acquiescence.
—Miguel de Unamuno



.
.

Monday, November 02, 2009

Ice Cold Words To Kick Off NaBloPoMo & NaNoWriMo

This month, I'm participating in National Blog Posting Month and National Novel Writing month in which I'll do exactly what both of those narrative/titles say. The plans are to have a fresh, new blog post every day for the month of November as well as me going to my private place to attempt to write a novel in this month's span. Thanks to my BlogSis The Original Oldgirl LadyLee and her participation and the support of others in both actions/causes, I have been motivated to support and have heeded a call to action as well. I mean, I just found out about these this morning, so please forgive me for not posting yesterday. I will more than make up for this within the month.

Wish us luck and continue to stop by. I have no earthly clue as to what will appear on these here pages in the near future.

__

I have always been moved by most of Andre Benjamin's words.I posted half of this as a facebook status this morning. I always get something out of this cat's words. Check this verse:


Styles will change
They say change is dang-erous
As a king standing on the terrace
While his ___ pointing up at the rightful men
Cowards never know when your life will end
Then... live like there ain't no 'morrow
And if one come then this the motto
Now I put message in bottle
You go to the nearest beach and open your car door
And you walk to the place where the sea meets the land
Yeah it's easier to run the street than walk in the sand
Hey I'm talking young man
As if chalk in my hand
I will take yo' little ass to school
It's cool
When the kids call me sonny, the hood calls me stacks
The bees call me honey, Hollywood calls me back
Crack and I have a lot in common
We both come up in the 80's and we keep that bass pumping
That's a nega-tive comparison, embarrassing
Unfortunate that if you come up fortunate the streets consider you lame
Ha, I thought the name of the game was to have a better life. I guess it ain't. What a shame
I don't slang. Never slung but I'm one with the slum that has a name well fitting
Plenty cheese getting. No wonder why they call it the trap
So watch your tail and I'm not kidding
The rats and mice will give advice, they say, "you can paint and draw
Get out of here. Go show them that we're more than slanging raw."
That's when I broke into my Big Rube impression
And I tried to enlighten but that night I learned a lesson
That the morals that you think you got go out the window
When all the other kids are fresh and they got new Nintendo Wiis
And your child is down on her knees praying hard up to God for a whopper with cheese
Do you B) hit the street hard with a flair
Or do you A) go to school for heating and air?
Dare make an honest living or make a crooked killing
Or do a bit of both until you're holding on a million?
Brilliant. You got one foot in, one foot out
You put your left foot back in and then you shake it all about
You do the hokey pokey til you turn your life around
That's what it's all about. 3000 out

From the song 'Royal Flush' featuring Raekwon
Outkast

Yall' be easy.

4 comments:

LadyLee said...

Do that, bruh. Do that!

Anonymous said...

Yea, I'm participating too, time to get back to basics

Gallis said...

Uncanny. You're blogging every day and I've declared November Hoff Month on facebook. Coincidence? LOL...Hi Yaz!

The Brown Blogger said...

You mean Michael Knight - HOFF???

Yeah, and Hey Yaz? Hi you doin'?