Version 2.0

Culture, healing, politics and bullshit - Not necessarily in that order

The general, socio-political and very personal rantings and ravings of a hip hop head from the hood hustling for change... Of himself.

You all know me and are aware that I am unable to remain silent. At times to be silent is to lie. For silence can be interpreted as acquiescence.
—Miguel de Unamuno



.
.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005


Peace and Blessings in the name of the most high...

I just had a load of time fall into my lap lately, and I have
been feverishly working on the album and the poetry joint.
I planned on vacationing in the next couple of weeks but I
just had ton on inspiration hit me and I couldn't leave with
new ideas and concepts on my mind.

I was working on some joints for my "The Power of the
Hand" project which is a culmination new ideas I had
bridging the spoken word onto a harder track base ala
Saul Williams, Zack De La Rocha, you know - them cats. I
love the spoken word. I feel with all of the saturation of
pop-ish, radio friendly tracks, and over crunked out songs
(don't get it twisted, I luvs the crunk) that the lyrics
themselves can get lost in translation.

I'm a kid of the 70's and 80's. At that time the tracks that
emcees dropped were fresh to def, but attention was
especially paid to the lyrical content. Hip Hop was fresh
and new, and we had to know what was being said,
that
era was so influential to future Mic controllers. During my
time as an emcee trying to rock a record deal from 88 to
2000, I always made sure that clarity was a trait that I
displayed, and even after my so called retirement from Mic
rocking in 2000, I fell in love with performing using the
power of the spoken word. Hip Hop never got away from
me. The reaction and love given back when I was dropping
phrases rather than rapping by some of my peers and
extended family gave me more than the crowds that I got
a chance to rock and the heads that nodded to The
Underground Movement's joints MorninMan and me
created back in the day.

So now after me bowing to corporate America and
MorninMan perfecting his craft starting a family and
earning his stripes as a dope ass producer/DJ/studio
conveyor, the Movement is being resurrected... I just can't
drop just plain ol' beats and rhymes, we've grown. In our
growth as men, in fatherhood, being family men,
businessmen, beatmakers , rhymesayers & writers and our
growth in the love of Hip Hop we just can't sit on the
sidelines and let Hip Hop move without our contribution of
some soulful shit.

No comments: