Version 2.0

Culture, healing, politics and bullshit - Not necessarily in that order

The general, socio-political and very personal rantings and ravings of a hip hop head from the hood hustling for change... Of himself.

You all know me and are aware that I am unable to remain silent. At times to be silent is to lie. For silence can be interpreted as acquiescence.
—Miguel de Unamuno



.
.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Nope, Not Yet

I didn't want to write about this.

I'm not angry or vengeful.

I'm also not heartbroken either. But I should be.

A little.





So that you know what I'm talking about, I'll give you some off hand info that you probably already know:

Here in America black folk make up around 11% of its populous. The black electorate is less than half of that, which means when we vote, although our numbers count big time in our respective precincts, if you just plainly add up the black vote, and put it separate from other voting blocs well... Small potatoes.

What I mean is our votes do indeed count and they definitely affect the districts in which we live, and because we are a proud, braggadocious and loud bunch... We can affect change and make impact with influence.

Because they see us.

But...

Because we are not united or an actual voting block and don't lobby like we should, we are not taken seriously. Until someone gets shot by a white cop. Or wrongly convicted. Or our civil rights are affected, and we don't even unite over those things anymore.

Whereas there are chambers of commerce, lobbys and advocate groups... And there are organizations, nicknames and straight segregated living and business areas where monies are circulated within, the black community does not have that.

Our organization and sticktuitiveness is shaky at best. Oh, but when we had crosses burned in our front yards and one or our own was hanged from that big oak tree...

Or when there were different water fountains and separate and unequal...

We used to be taken seriously, and like the Jews, the Italian and German, the Japanese and the French, we had representation, a lobby and permanent interests that affected elections and molded candidates. We no longer have that and we (black folk) are not taken seriously.

Not even in the Obama campaign.

Now notice I said the campaign and not the candidate. This is not Barack's doing.

Understand that for the most part, black folk for whatever reason are probably going to cast a vote for Barack. It's the rural, remote and suburban white person that needs help making the decision to either vote for John or Barack. Joe six-pack and regular suburban white families make up the majority of the electorate, and that's the strategy the Obama campaign needs to work on, because people who look like me will not adversely affect the Democratic nominee's numbers.

So guess who represents the paid Obama staffer more than anyone else.

You got it.

I still don't want to tell of my experience with the campaign. Not yet. It ain't a bad thing either. Just know that I am back on the road, doing my job, no longer on leave and enjoying the fact that there is probably one stank ass hotel that I haven't stayed at yet.

After a tumultuous week with a very unorganized Ohio Vote Corps and dealing directly with the deployment officer for the Obama campaign, I figured that it would be better to go back and work for myself and just cast my vote which is just as important when Nov 4 comes.

I need you to understand the numbers and what needs to be done in order for Barack to win this fall. Let's concentrate on that first. I'm not trying to tease or get folks to read my shit. I'd rather we focus on the debate tonight and the issues in this campaign. There is always a method for someone's madness, okay?

I hope everyone is registered.

3 comments:

princessdominique said...

I'm registered.

Anonymous said...

Now I'm curious. You're going to have to spill the beans.

Anonymous said...

I agree... explain please!